[no subject]

From: Hao Lee
Date: Mon Sep 28 2020 - 10:31:00 EST

dan.j.wiilliams@xxxxxxxxx
Bcc:
Subject: Can we remove the checking of CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_PTE_SPECIAL in
__vm_insert_mixed?
In the current code, if the architecture supports PTE_SPECIAL,
__vm_insert_mixed() becomes a simple encapsulation of insert_pfn()
because it always calls insert_pfn() and never calls insert_page(). This
behavior is inconsistent with the function's name. As described in
commit 423bad600443 ("mm: add vm_insert_mixed"), this function is
designed to supports _both_ raw pfns and pfns with struct page, but in
architecture with PTE_SPECIAL, it treats the latter as the former. So, I
think we'd better remove the checking of CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_PTE_SPECIAL to
make the behavior consistent for all architectures. If my understanding
is right, I can submit a patch to fix this. Thanks.

Regards,
Hao Lee