Re: remove set_fs for riscv v2

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Mon Sep 28 2020 - 12:45:34 EST

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 05:49:28 PDT (-0700), Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:50:52AM -0700, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 21:37:52 PDT (-0700), Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Given tht we've not made much progress with the common branch,
are you fine just picking this up through the riscv tree for 5.10?

I'll defer other architectures that depend on the common changes to
5.11 then.

I'm OK taking it, but there's a few things I'd like to sort out. IIRC I put it
on a temporary branch over here

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/palmer/linux.git/log/?h=riscv-remove_set_fs

under the assumption it might get lost otherwise, but let me know if that's not
what you were looking for.

Well, we'll want it in linux-next and then 5.10. Either a merge through
the RISC-V maintainer, or as part of the base branch from Al would
make sense to me.

Sorry, I guess my question was really: does that branch have all the
dependencies necessary for the RISC-V stuff to actually work? IIRC this actual
patch set depended on some other one, and while I thinK I got everything I
don't want to pull in something broken.

Arnd: Are you OK with the asm-generic stuff? I couldn't find anything in my
mail history, so sorry if I just missed it.

Al: IIRC the plan here was to have me merge in a feature branch with this
stuff, but it'd have to be based on your for-next as there are some
dependencies over there. I see 5ae4998b5d6f ("powerpc: remove address space
overrides using set_fs()") in vfs/for-next so I think we should be OK, but let
me know if I'm doing something wrong.