Re: How to use an ACPI declared GPIO in a userspace ...

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Tue Sep 29 2020 - 12:27:48 EST

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM Flavio Suligoi <f.suligoi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > board
> > without

> > with

> > for pulls
> > timeout
> > strength
> > as input
> > controller
> > number

> > driver,

> > key.

> > expose
> > declaration),
> >
> > Unfortunately what you are describing in the second part is rather
> > property of the controller which can hog the line, but this is not
> > what you want in the first part.
> > The Linux kernel, in many ways, is designed that you need a driver
> > (I²C user space device node is rather a mistake, but compromise for
> > that time when most of the devices have access from user space
> > drivers). So, the proper way is to define this as gpio-keys (either
> > interrupt version or polling one) and connect a listener to the event.
> >
> > Summarize: you need to describe pin(s) via "gpio-line-names" property
> > of the controller (it's not so easy task if ACPI tables already have
> > parts of it, but I think your case should be feasible). And either
> > provide a gpio-keys device, or use line directly by name as (libgpiod
> > example):
> > gpiodetect
> > gpioinfo gpiochipX
> > gpiofind $GPIO_LINE_NAME
> > gpiomon gpiochipX $(gpiofind $GPIO_LINE_NAME) &
> >
> > Examples of ACPI are here [1] for controller part (look at the name
> > list) and for device part [2]. You may look into other folders as
> > well, though they are not so reach of examples.
> >
> > [1]: https://github.com/westeri/meta-acpi/blob/master/recipes-bsp/acpi-
> > tables/samples/edison/arduino.asli
> > [2]: https://github.com/westeri/meta-acpi/blob/master/recipes-bsp/acpi-
> > tables/samples/edison/buttons.asli
>
> I have already written and ACPI table, not in the BIOS but as separate
> SSDT, loaded manually at runtime, using the gpio-keys (with interrupt)
> and in this way all works good. So I have already tested this solution.
>
> But I prefer obtain this result in the classic way, with GPIO...
>
> So I think I'll write a device driver for it. A device driver which
> reads the ACPI table and publishes the GPIO, with its name, in sysfs...

Maybe I was not so clear, but as Bart mentioned the least you can do
is simply define line name via "gpio-line-names" property. The problem
here is when and how you would like to have them incorporated.
When: if ACPI tables are being provided by firmware which you may not
alter, then you must use initramfs type of solution (no configfs,
don't know about EFI var though). How: In that case you might have a
chance to incorporate _DSD() method into *existing* _CRS() one.
Possible impediments: if ACPI table from firmware already has a _DSD()
defined or above is not working for some reason. In such a case you
must upgrade entire DSDT via initramfs.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko