Re: [v5] mm: khugepaged: recalculate min_free_kbytes after memory hotplug as expected by khugepaged

From: Mike Kravetz
Date: Fri Oct 02 2020 - 14:31:32 EST

On 10/2/20 4:25 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 30-09-20 15:03:11, Mike Kravetz wrote:

>>> Sure. Please share your thoughts regarding appropriate message. Here is what I'm thinking
>>>
>>> pr_warn("min_free_kbytes is not updated to %d because current value %d is preferred\n", new_min_free_kbytes, min_free_kbytes);
>>>
>>> If above message is reasonable I can post a new revision (v6).
>>
>> Just considering the below example,

>> I am not sure if there is any value in printing the above line. Especially
>> in this context as it becomes obsolete with the printing of the next line.
>
> The original intention was to make it explicit that auto-tuning is
> influenced by the user provided configuration.

>> IMO, the above line is the only one that should be output as a result of the
>> recalculation.
>
> Well, but khugepaged could be disabled and then the above might not get
> printed. Sure the code could get reorganized and all that but is this
> really worth that?
>
>> I guess that brings up the question of 'should we continue to track the user
>> defined value if we overwrite it?". If we quit tracking it may help with the
>
> Auto tuning and user provided override is quite tricky to get sensible.
> Especially in the case here. Admin has provided an override but has the
> potential memory hotplug been considered? Or to make it even more
> complicated, consider that the hotplug happens without admin involvement
> - e.g. memory gets hotremoved due to HW problems. Is the admin provided
> value still meaningful? To be honest I do not have a good answer and I
> am not sure we should care all that much until we see practical
> problems.

I am not insisting that this be cleaned up. The change in this patch to
ensure THP related calculations are performed during hotplug is the most
important.

I became aware of the logging issues when looking at a customer issue with
an older kernel. The min_free_kbytes setting was integral to the issue we
were investigating, and it was unclear whether or not the customer had
changed the value. I knew the system log should contain evidence of manually
setting min_free_kbytes. However, there was no evidence in the log. Turns
out the customer did not change the value, but it did cause me to do a deep
dive into the logging code.
--
Mike Kravetz