Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Updates for 5.10

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Oct 15 2020 - 22:21:45 EST

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:54:34 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:53 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Updates for tracing and bootconfig:
>
> Hmm. I haven't verified that this came from you, but it seems likely..
> Once again my clang build shows something that I don't see in my
> allmodconfig gcc build:
>
> WARNING: modpost: vmlinux.o(.text+0x1e5b06): Section mismatch in
> reference from the function __trace_early_add_events() to the function
> .init.text:__trace_early_add_new_event()
> The function __trace_early_add_events() references
> the function __init __trace_early_add_new_event().
> This is often because __trace_early_add_events lacks a __init
> annotation or the annotation of __trace_early_add_new_event is wrong.
>
> Hmm?
>
> Linus

I see the issue, and I wonder if it has to do with optimization, for gcc
not to warn.

The issue is that we have:

trace_array_create() that can be called at any time. And it has:

if (trace_instance_dir) {
ret = trace_array_create_dir(tr);
if (ret)
goto out_free_tr;
} else
__trace_early_add_events(tr);

Where trace_instance_dir gets set at boot up, and thus the else statement
will never get called after that.

The __trace_early_add_events() then calls __trace_early_add_new_events()
which is __init.

I don't know how gcc didn't trigger this and clang does.

I'll have to think about how to untangle this. Is there some kind of
annotation that makes it show that a path can only be called at boot up and
not later?

-- Steve