Re: [RFC 0/3] clk: imx: Implement blk-ctl driver for i.MX8MN

From: Adam Ford
Date: Sat Oct 24 2020 - 17:10:59 EST

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 3:23 PM Abel Vesa <abel.vesa@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20-10-24 11:20:12, Adam Ford wrote:
> > There are some less-documented registers which control clocks and
> > resets for the multimedia block which controls the LCDIF, ISI, MIPI
> > CSI, and MIPI DSI.
> >
> > The i.Mx8M Nano appears to have a subset of the i.MX8MP registers with
> > a couple shared registers with the i.MX8MM. This series builds on the
> > series that have been submitted for both of those other two platforms.
> >
> > This is an RFC because when enabling the corresponding DTS node, the
> > system freezes on power on. There are a couple of clocks that don't
> > correspond to either the imx8mp nor the imx8mm, so I might have something
> > wrong, and I was hoping for some constructive feedback in order to get
> > the imx8m Nano to a similar point of the Mini and Plus.
> >

> Thanks for the effort.

Sure thing!

> I'm assuming this relies on the following patchset, right ?
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/10/24/139
Abell,

Your link points right back to this e-mail. ;-)

I based this work off:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg843906.html from Marek
which I beleive is based on
https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg836165.html from you.

I also have a GPC patch series located:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg847925.html

Together, both the GPC and the clk-blk driver should be able to pull
the multimedia block out of reset. Currently, the GPC can handle the
USB OTG and the GPU, but the LCDIF and MIPI DSI appear to be gated by
the clock block

My original patch RFC didn't include the imx8mn node, because it
hangs, but the node I added looks like:

media_blk_ctl: clock-controller@32e28000 {
compatible = "fsl,imx8mn-media-blk-ctl", "syscon";
reg = <0x32e28000 0x1000>;
#clock-cells = <1>;
#reset-cells = <1>;
};

I was hoping you might have some feedback on the 8mn clk-blk driver
since you did the 8mp clk-blk drive and they appear to be very
similar.

adam