Re: Patch "ASoC: topology: disable size checks for bytes_ext controls if needed" has been added to the 4.9-stable tree

From: Pierre-Louis Bossart
Date: Mon Oct 26 2020 - 11:01:15 EST

On 10/26/20 7:11 AM, Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 01:53:46AM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

ASoC: topology: disable size checks for bytes_ext controls if needed

to the 4.9-stable tree which can be found at:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
asoc-topology-disable-size-checks-for-bytes_ext-cont.patch
and it can be found in the queue-4.9 subdirectory.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> know about it.

This breaks the build, so I'm dropping it from everywhere it had
problems.

Also, why 5.4.y and not 4.19.y, but 4.14.y and 4.9.y?

Ah yes, there's a missed dependency on
fbd3eb7f66c5b ('ALSA: control: Add verification for kctl accesses')

I thought all of this was 20 years old but that commit added the option SND_CTL_VALIDATION which exposed the problem with this topology patch. Given the date (January 2020), I don't think it makes sense before 5.6?

I don't think this could have compiled prior to 5.6, I e.g. checked on 4.14.202 and the define SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_ACCESS_SKIP_CHECK was not defined either.

git grep SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_ACCESS_SKIP_CHECK
sound/soc/soc-topology.c: k->access |= SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_ACCESS_SKIP_CHECK;

Thanks for spotting this.
-Pierre