Re: [RFC]: userspace memory reaping

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Thu Nov 05 2020 - 12:16:18 EST

On Thu 05-11-20 08:50:58, Suren Baghdasaryan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 4:20 AM Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > write(fd) && fdatasync(fd) are already destructive operation if the file
> > > is shared.
> >
> > I am likely missing something because fdatasync will not destroy any
> > underlying data. It will sync
> >
> > > You don't need to reaping as destruptive operation. Rather than, just
> > > commit on the asynchrnous status "write file into page cache and commit
> > > with fsync" and "killing process and commit with fsync".
> >
> > I am sorry but I do not follow. The result of the memory reaping is a
> > data loss. Any private mapping will simply lose it's content. The caller
> > will get EFAULT when trying to access it but there is no way to
> > reconstruct the data. This is everything but not resembling what I see
> > f{data}sync is used for.
>
> I think Minchan considers f{data}sync as a "commit" operation.

But there is nothing like commit in that operation. It is simply a
destroy operation. ftruncate as Minchan mentions in another reply would
be a closer fit but how do you interpret the length argument? What about
memory regions which cannot be reaped?

I do understand that reusing an existing mechanism is usually preferable
but the semantic should be reasonable and easy to reason about.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs