Re: jitterentropy: `jent_mod_init()` takes 17 ms

From: Stephan Mueller
Date: Tue Nov 10 2020 - 04:25:50 EST

Am Montag, 9. November 2020, 20:31:02 CET schrieb Paul Menzel:

Hi Paul,

> Dear Linux folks,
>

> By mistake I built `XFRM_ESP` into the Linux kernel, resulting in
>
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_SEQIV=y
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_ECHAINIV=y
>
> and also the Jitterentropy RNG to be built in.
>
> CRYPTO_JITTERENTROPY=y
>
> So, on the Asus F2A85-M PRO starting Linux 4.10-rc3 with
> `initcall_debug`, the init method is run unconditionally, and it takes
> 17.5 ms, which is over ten percent of the overall 900 ms the Linux

Hm, 17.5 / 900 = 2%, or am I missing something?

> kernel needs until loading the init process.
>
> [ 0.300544] calling jent_mod_init+0x0/0x2c @ 1
> [ 0.318438] initcall jent_mod_init+0x0/0x2c returned 0 after
> 17471 usecs
>
> Looking at the output of systemd-bootchart, it looks like, that this
> indeed delayed the boot a little, as the other init methods seem to be
> ordered after it.
>
> I am now building it as a module, but am wondering if the time can be
> reduced to below ten milliseconds.

What you see is the test whether the Jitter RNG has a proper noise source. The
function jent_entropy_init() is the cause of the operation. It performs 1024
times a test to validate the appropriateness of the noise source. You can
adjust that with the TESTLOOPCOUNT in this function. But I am not sure
adjusting is a wise course of action.

Ciao
Stephan