Re: [GIT PULL] bootconfig: Extend the magic check range to the preceding 3 bytes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 13 2020 - 12:58:18 EST

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue is that grub padded the end of the ramdisk after loading it
> into memory. I'm not sure how the bootconfig tool can fix this. Perhaps
> make sure the ram disk size is 4 bytes aligned?

Exactly. Since - as far as I can tell - the _only_ thing that actually
generates that BOOTCONFIG_MAGIC marker is the bootconfig tool, you
control the vertical and the horizontal. No need for some "heuristic"
and searching for things.

And then that thing needs to be documented, so that if somebody else
starts generating BOOTCONFIG_MAGIC markers, we have a hard rule in
place that "look, the bootconfig is always aligned".

Might as well align it more than 4 bytes while at it and make it even stricter.

Linus