Re: kconfig as a git subtree on Linux

From: Boris Kolpackov
Date: Thu Nov 26 2020 - 05:45:45 EST

Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'd like to propose we discuss the possibility of taking kconfig and
> making it a git subtree under the Linux kernel. This would allow
> other projects outside of the Linux kernel to be able to update their
> own copy / fork of kconfig in a jiffie *very* easily.

I am maintaining one such copy/fork[1] and for me the effort to pull
in the new version of upstream (which I currently do by just copying
scripts/kconfig/*) is nothing compared to the effort of maintaining
a set of patches[2] on top of that which are necessary to make kconfig
buildable on other platforms and usable with other build systems.

So unless there is also an agreement that such portability patches
are now welcome, this is not going to be a major improvement for me.
And right now such patches are clearly not welcome[3] (but no hard
feelings; I wouldn't touch Windows with a ten-foot pole if I could
help it).

[1] https://github.com/build2-packaging/kconfig
[2] https://github.com/build2-packaging/kconfig/commits/upstream-5.10-rc1
[3] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/msg27460.html