RE: kdump always hangs in rcu_barrier() -> wait_for_completion()

From: Dexuan Cui
Date: Thu Nov 26 2020 - 16:25:49 EST

call_rcu() is indeed called multiple times, but as you said, this should
be normal.

> My best guess is that the underlying bug is that you are invoking
> rcu_barrier() before the RCU grace-period kthread has been created.
> This means that RCU grace periods cannot complete, which in turn means
> that if there has been even one invocation of call_rcu() since boot,
> rcu_barrier() cannot complete, which is what you are in fact seeing.
> Please note that it is perfectly legal to invoke call_rcu() very early in
> the boot process, as in even before the call to rcu_init(). Therefore,
> if this is the case, the bug is the early call to rcu_barrier(), not
> the early calls to call_rcu().
>
> To check this, at the beginning of rcu_barrier(), check the value of
> rcu_state.gp_kthread. If my guess is correct, it will be NULL.

Unluckily, it's not NULL here. :-)

> Another possibility is that rcu_state.gp_kthread is non-NULL, but that
> something else is preventing RCU grace periods from completing, but in

It looks like somehow the scheduling is not working here: in rcu_barrier()
, if I replace the wait_for_completion() with
wait_for_completion_timeout(&rcu_state.barrier_completion, 30*HZ), the
issue persists.

> that case you should see RCU CPU stall warnings. Unless of course they
> have been disabled.
> Thanx, Paul

I guess I didn't disable the wanrings (I don't even know how to do that :)

grep RCU .config
# RCU Subsystem
CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y
# CONFIG_RCU_EXPERT is not set