Re: [GIT pull] locking/urgent for v5.10-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 01 2020 - 14:46:42 EST

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:56 PM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So even if an architecture needs to enable interrupts on idle, we need
> it disabled again when coming out. So we might as well have the arch
> idle routine then be: STI; HLT; CLI; because then architectures than can
> idle with interrupts disabled can avoid mucking about with the interrupt
> state entirely.

But that's not what the code is doing.

Go look at it.

It does sti;hlt;cli;pushf;cli;sti.

All for no good reason - because the code is structured so that even
if all the tracking and lockdep is disabled, the pointless "let's
protect the tracking from interrupts" is still there.

See what I am complaining about?

Linus