Re: [GIT pull] locking/urgent for v5.10-rc6

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Dec 02 2020 - 02:54:20 EST

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 11:45:25AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:56 PM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So even if an architecture needs to enable interrupts on idle, we need
> > it disabled again when coming out. So we might as well have the arch
> > idle routine then be: STI; HLT; CLI; because then architectures than can
> > idle with interrupts disabled can avoid mucking about with the interrupt
> > state entirely.
>
> But that's not what the code is doing.
>
> Go look at it.
>
> It does sti;hlt;cli;pushf;cli;sti.
>
> All for no good reason - because the code is structured so that even
> if all the tracking and lockdep is disabled, the pointless "let's
> protect the tracking from interrupts" is still there.
>
> See what I am complaining about?

Absolutely.

default_idle()
arch_cpu_idle()
sti; hlt;
cli;
rcu_idle_exit()
pushf;
cli;
rcu_eqs_exit(false);
popf;
sti;

is what it currently looks like, and that's completely insane, no
argument.

What I would like to end up with is:

default_idle()
arch_cpu_idle()
sti; hlt; cli
rcu_idle_exit()
rcu_eqs_exit(false);
sti;

Which would allow architectures that can idle with IRQs disabled to do
so. But that needs a little more work:

- make arch_cpu_idle() IRQ invariant (we enter and exit with IRQs off)
- make cpuidle drivers do similar
- audit all rcu_idle_exit() callers and remove save/restore