Re: [Ksummit-discuss] crediting bug reports and fixes folded into original patch

From: Joe Perches
Date: Wed Dec 09 2020 - 03:55:19 EST

On Wed, 2020-12-09 at 10:58 +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 09:01:49PM -0800, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-12-08 at 16:34 -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> >
> > > If not "Adjusted-by", what about "Tweaked-by", "Helped-by",
> > > "Corrected-by"?
> >
> > Improved-by: / Enhanced-by: / Revisions-by:
> >

> I don't think we should give any credit for improvements or enhancements,
> only for fixes.

Hey Dan.

I do. If a patch isn't comprehensive and a reviewer notices some
missing coverage or algorithmic performance enhancement, I think that
should be noted.

> Complaining about style is its own reward.

<chuckle, maybe so. I view it more like coaching...>

I believe I've said multiple times that style changes shouldn't require
additional commentary added to a patch.

I'm not making any suggestion to comment for style, only logic or defect
reduction/improvements as described above.

> Having to redo a patch is already a huge headache. Normally, I already
> considered the reviewer's prefered style and decided I didn't like it.

Example please. We both seem to prefer consistent style.

> Then to make me redo the patch in an ugly style and say thank you on
> top of that??? Forget about it.

Not a thing I've asked for.

> Plus, as a reviewer I hate reviewing patches over and over.

interdiff could be improved.

> I've argued for years that we should have a Fixes-from: tag. The zero
> day bot is already encouraging people to add Reported-by tags for this
> and a lot of people do.

It's still a question of what fixes means in any context.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%27fixes-from%3A%27%20carpenter%20site%3Alore.kernel.org
gives:
It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search

And I'm rather in favor of letting people make up their own
<whatever>-by: uses and not being too concerned about the specific
whatever word or phrase used. Postel's law and such.