Re: Broken /usr/bin/env (invalid option)

From: Dominique Martinet
Date: Wed Dec 09 2020 - 11:21:38 EST

Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote on Wed, Dec 09, 2020:
> > Hm, what version of env is that?
> > I only checked on a couple of systems that env -S exists, but it might
> > not be available (e.g. now I'm looking, at least busybox env does not
> > provide -S)
>
> $ env --version
> env (GNU coreutils) 8.25

Ok, so this is a much newer option than I thought it was, sorry for my
lack of checking.
I know we no longer support older gccs but it's probably best to keep
supporting this.

> > I don't see any way to make this work out of the box for me (awk not in
> > /usr/bin) and you (env not supporting -S), but I guess I can keep that
> > patch around locally...
>
> You could add a wrapper which uses PATH or searches for the awk...
> kind of reimplement other tools. Another solution is to clearly
> document the requirements for the build system and explicitly say that
> older systems like four-year Ubuntu are not supported.

Well there definitely are ways, but I'm not sure it's worth it...
For example another idea is just to use /bin/sh (which is mandated to
exist) and have it invoke awk, the script is short enough to just quote
it.

Yamada-san, how about this instead?
But to be honest I'm fine with dropping my patch altogether, I'll work
around it locally if it's too much.
---