Re: Urgent: BUG: PPP ioctl Transport endpoint is not connected

From: Guillaume Nault
Date: Wed Dec 09 2020 - 13:12:17 EST

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:57:44PM +0200, Martin Zaharinov wrote:
> > On 9 Dec 2020, at 18:40, Guillaume Nault <gnault@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 04:47:52PM +0200, Martin Zaharinov wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> I have problem with latest kernel release
> >> And the problem is base on this late problem :
> >>

> >> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+ppp%5C%2Fpppoe%2C+still+panic+4.15.3+in+ppp_push%22&o=newest&f=1
> >>
> >> I have same problem in kernel 5.6 > now I use kernel 5.9.13 and have same problem.
> >>

> >> In kernel 5.9.13 now don’t have any crashes in dimes but in one moment accel service stop with defunct and in log have many of this line :
> >>

> >> error: vlan608: ioctl(PPPIOCCONNECT): Transport endpoint is not connected
> >> error: vlan617: ioctl(PPPIOCCONNECT): Transport endpoint is not connected
> >> error: vlan679: ioctl(PPPIOCCONNECT): Transport endpoint is not connected
> >>
> >> In one moment connected user bump double or triple and after that service defunct and need wait to drop all session to start .
> >>
> >> I talk with accel-ppp team and they said this is kernel related problem and to back to kernel 4.14 there is not this problem.
> >>
> >> Problem is come after kernel 4.15 > and not have solution to this moment.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I don't understand.
> > Do you mean that v4.14 worked fine (no crash, no ioctl() error)?
> > Did the problem start appearing in v4.15? Or did v4.15 work and the
> > problem appeared in v4.16?
>
> In Telegram group I talk with Sergey and Dimka and told my the problem is come after changes from 4.14 to 4.15
> Sergey write this : "as I know, there was a similar issue in kernel 4.15 so maybe it is still not fixed"

Ok, but what is your experience? Do you have a kernel version where
accel-ppp reports no ioctl() error and doesn't crash the kernel?

There wasn't a lot of changes between 4.14 and 4.15 for PPP.
The only PPP patch I can see that might have been risky is commit
0171c4183559 ("ppp: unlock all_ppp_mutex before registering device").

> I don’t have options to test with this old kernel 4.14.xxx i don’t have support for them.
>

> >> Please help to find the problem.
> >>
> >> Last time in link I see is make changes in ppp_generic.c
> >>
> >> ppp_lock(ppp);
> >> spin_lock_bh(&pch->downl);
> >> if (!pch->chan) {
> >> /* Don't connect unregistered channels */
> >> spin_unlock_bh(&pch->downl);
> >> ppp_unlock(ppp);
> >> ret = -ENOTCONN;
> >> goto outl;
> >> }
> >> spin_unlock_bh(&pch->downl);
> >>

> >> But this fix only to don’t display error and freeze system
> >> The problem is stay and is to big.
> >
> > Do you use accel-ppp's unit-cache option? Does the problem go away if
> > you stop using it?
> >

> No I don’t use unit-cache , if I set unit-cache accel-ppp defunct same but user Is connect and disconnet more fast.
>
> The problem is same with unit and without .
> Only after this patch I don’t see error in dimes but this is not solution.

Soryy, what's "in dimes"?
Do you mean that reverting commit 77f840e3e5f0 ("ppp: prevent
unregistered channels from connecting to PPP units") fixes your problem?

> In network have customer what have power cut problem, when drop 600 user and back Is normal but in this moment kernel is locking and start to make this :
> sessions:
> starting: 4235
> active: 3882
> finishing: 378
> The problem is starting session is not real user normal user in this server is ~4k customers .

What type of session is it? L2TP, PPPoE, PPTP?