Re: [GIT pull] irq/core for v5.11-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 24 2020 - 17:00:18 EST

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A treewide cleanup of interrupt descriptor (ab)use with all sorts of racy
> accesses, inefficient and disfunctional code. The goal is to remove the
> export of irq_to_desc() to prevent these things from creeping up again.

This exposed that the mellanox mlx5 driver had grown another use of
'irq_desc' in commit 145e5637d941 ("net/mlx5e: Add TX PTP port object
support").

Except that use was write-only, with the only acces being this assignment:

c->irq_desc = irq_to_desc(irq);

so I removed the 'irq_desc' field and that assignment in my merge.

I didn't even replace it with an affinity mask thing like commit
6e745db4ddd0 ("net/mlx5: Replace irq_to_desc() abuse") did for the
previous case, because the irq_desc thing was literally pointless and
unused. I suspect it was some cut-and-paste programming.

Just writing this note so that everybody knows what's going on.

Linus