Re: cBPF socket filters failing - inexplicably?

From: Tom Cook
Date: Wed Jan 06 2021 - 09:53:06 EST

Another factoid to add to this: I captured all traffic on an
interface while the test program was running using

tcpdump -i wlo1 -w capture.pcap

observing that multiple packets got through the filter. I then built
the bpf_dbg program from the kernel source tree and ran the same
filter and capture file through it:

$ tools/bpf_dbg
> load bpf 1,6 0 0 0
> load pcap capture.pcap
> run
bpf passes:0 fails:269288

So bpf_dbg thinks the filter is correct; it's only when the filter is
attached to an actual socket that it fails occasionally.

Regards,
Tom