Re: [RFC 0/2] kbuild: Add support to build overlays (%.dtbo)

From: Viresh Kumar
Date: Mon Jan 11 2021 - 06:17:57 EST

On 07-01-21, 14:28, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Viresh's patch is not enough.
>
> We will need to change .gitignore
> and scripts/Makefile.dtbinst as well.
>
> In my understanding, the build rule is completely the same
> between .dtb and .dtbo
> As Rob mentioned, I am not sure if we really need/want
> a separate extension.
>
> A counter approach is to use an extension like '.ovl.dtb'
> It clarifies it is an overlay fragment without changing
> anything in our build system or the upstream DTC project.

By the time you gave feedback, I have already sent the dtbo change for
DTC to the device-tree-compiler list (based on Rob's suggestion).

And it got merged today by David:

https://github.com/dgibson/dtc/commit/163f0469bf2ed8b2fe5aa15bc796b93c70243ddc

Can we please finalize what we need to do with naming here and be done
with it, so I can rework my patches and get going ?

Thanks.

--
viresh