Re: gdbserver + fsgsbase kaputt

From: Tom de Vries
Date: Tue Jan 12 2021 - 03:46:52 EST

On 1/12/21 4:31 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM Tom de Vries <tdevries@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Tom, if I reproduce it in an interactive gdb and play a bit, I get:
>>>
>>> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>> 0xf7df2cb6 in init_cacheinfo () from target:/lib/libc.so.6
>>> (gdb) p $gs = $gs
>>> $1 = 99
>>> (gdb) si
>>>
>>> Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>> The program no longer exists.
>>>
>>> That's gdb itself crashing. Any idea what's wrong?
>>>

>> The first "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault" means
>> that gdb intercepts the sigsegv, and allows you to inspect it f.i. by
>> printing $_siginfo. The inferior is still live at this point.
>>
>> Then when trying to continue using si, the signal is passed on to the
>> inferior, which means it'll be terminated.
>>
>> AFAIU, gdb has not crashed, and behaves as expected. See below for a
>> similar scenario.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Tom

>> $ cat test2.c
>> int
>> main (void)
>> {
>> *((int *)0) = 0;
>> return 0;
>> }
>> $ gcc test2.c
>> $ ./a.out
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> $ gdb -q ./a.out
>> Reading symbols from ./a.out...
>> (gdb) r
>> Starting program: /home/vries/a.out

>> 0x00000000004004a0 in main ()
>> (gdb) si
>>
>> Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>> The program no longer exists.
>> (gdb)
>>

> Hah, you're right. Is there an easy way to tell gdb to suppress the
> first signal and try again?

Say the signal comes from outside the inferior, f.i. one did "kill -s
SIGSEGV <pid>" or some such.

The command "enqueue-signal 0" ignores the signal, after which you can
continue executing, using f.i. continue or si.

The command "signal 0" is a shorthand for "enqueue-signal 0; continue".

One can also change the handling of the signal in the debug session as a
whole using the command handle, f.i. "handle SIGSEGV nopass" to not pass
the SIGSEGV signal to the inferior.

In this case however, the signal comes from an insn, and we can ignore
it, but stepping further will just regenerate the same signal, unless we
fix the cause.

In the debug scenario below, we:
- fix the cause by overwriting the register containing the invalid
dereferenced pointer value with the valid pointer value p2
- ignore the signal using "enqueue-signal 0"
- continue execution using "si"

Thanks,
- Tom

$ cat test2.c
int a;

int
main (void)
{
int *p = 0;
int *p2 = &a;
*p = 0;
return 0;
}
$ gcc test2.c -g
$ ./a.out
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$ objdump -d a.out
0000000000400497 <main>:
400497: 55 push %rbp
400498: 48 89 e5 mov %rsp,%rbp
40049b: 48 c7 45 f8 00 00 00 movq $0x0,-0x8(%rbp)
4004a2: 00
4004a3: 48 c7 45 f0 2c 10 60 movq $0x60102c,-0x10(%rbp)
4004aa: 00
4004ab: 48 8b 45 f8 mov -0x8(%rbp),%rax
4004af: c7 00 00 00 00 00 movl $0x0,(%rax)
4004b5: b8 00 00 00 00 mov $0x0,%eax
4004ba: 5d pop %rbp
4004bb: c3 retq
4004bc: 0f 1f 40 00 nopl 0x0(%rax)