Re: [5.11 regression] "tty: implement write_iter" breaks TIOCCONS

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Fri Jan 29 2021 - 13:26:35 EST

Hi,

On 1/29/21 7:09 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 6:54 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> While testing 5.11-rc5 I noticed that flicker-free boot was no longer flicker free,
>> when plymouth loads and tells systemd to start logging detailed messages these start
>> showing upon the fbcon instead of being redirected to the ptmx which plymouth is
>> trying to redirect the messages too.
>
> I think this should already be fixed in current -git by commit 9f12e37cae44.
>
> Can you check?

So I just did the following

1. Started with my local tree (5.11-rc5 + patches I'm working on, nothing tty related)
( https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi/commits/master )
2. Dropped the 2 reverts which I was carrying to workaround this locally
3. Cherry-picked 9f12e37cae44
4. Build + installed a new bzImage

Unfortunately this does not resolve the problem, after this the problem is back.

I can build a kernel from a clean torvalds/linux/master but I don't expect
any different results from that. Let me know if you still want me to do
a clean build to make sure this is not something in my local tree.

Regards,

Hans