Re: [REGRESSION] x86/entry: TIF_SINGLESTEP handling is still broken

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jan 31 2021 - 18:37:49 EST

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 3:18 PM Kyle Huey <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The key to triggering this bug is to enter a ptrace syscall stop and
> then use PTRACE_SINGLESTEP to exit it. On a good kernel this will not
> result in any userspace code execution in the tracee because on the
> way out of the kernel's syscall handling path the singlestep trap will
> be raised immediately. On a bad kernel that stop will not be raised,
> and in the example below, the program will crash.

Thanks, great explanation, and I can certainly see the behavior you mention.

I wonder if the simple solution is to just

(a) always set one of the SYSCALL_WORK_EXIT bits on the child in
ptrace (exactly to catch the child on system call exit)

(b) basically revert 299155244770 ("entry: Drop usage of TIF flags in
the generic syscall code") and have the syscall exit code check the
TIF_SINGLESTEP flag

Hmm?

Linus