Re: [RFC 11/20] mm/tlb: remove arch-specific tlb_start/end_vma()

From: Nadav Amit
Date: Tue Feb 02 2021 - 02:21:57 EST

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:41 PM, Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Excerpts from Peter Zijlstra's message of February 1, 2021 10:09 pm:
>> I also don't think AGRESSIVE_FLUSH_BATCHING quite captures what it does.
>> How about:
>>
>> CONFIG_MMU_GATHER_NO_PER_VMA_FLUSH
>
> Yes please, have to have descriptive names.

Point taken. I will fix it.

> I didn't quite see why this was much of an improvement though. Maybe
> follow up patches take advantage of it? I didn't see how they all fit
> together.

They do, but I realized as I said in other emails that I have a serious bug
in the deferred invalidation scheme.

Having said that, I think there is an advantage of having an explicit config
option instead of relying on whether tlb_end_vma is defined. For instance,
Arm does not define tlb_end_vma, and consequently it flushes the TLB after
each VMA. I suspect it is not intentional.