Re: RFC: oftree based setup of composite board devices

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Wed Feb 10 2021 - 05:38:35 EST

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:25 AM Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
<info@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> here's an RFC for using compiled-in dtb's for initializing board devices
> that can't be probed via bus'es or firmware.
>
> Use cases are boards with non-oftree firmware (ACPI, etc) where certain
> platform devices can't be directly enumerated via firmware. Traditionally
> we had to write board specific drivers that check for board identification
> (DMI strings, etc), then initialize the actual devices and their links
> (eg. gpio<->leds/buttons, ...). Often this can be expressed just by DT.

In ACPI we support DT compatible strings, and we support overlays for
a long time. Would it work for you?

> This patch queue does a bunch of preparations in oftree code, so we can
> support multiple fully independent DT's (not using DT overlays). And then
> adds a generic driver parses compiled-in fdt blobs, checks for mathing
> DMI strings and initializes the devices. As an example, the last patch
> adds an alternative implementation for the PC engines APU2/3/4 board
> family based on device tree.

Sounds weird, but let's see...

> The approach can be easily be extended to other kinds of composite devices,
> eg. PCI cards or USB dongles.

What do you mean? PCI and USB are self-enumerated. What's wrong with them?

> Yet some drawbacks of the current implementation:
>
> * individual FDT's can't be modularized yet (IMHO, we don't have DMI-based
> modprobing anyways)

What?! https://lwn.net/Articles/233385/
`git grep -n 'MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(dmi'`

--