Re: 5.10 LTS Kernel: 2 or 6 years?

From: Scott Branden
Date: Wed Feb 17 2021 - 14:49:48 EST

Hi Greg,

On 2021-02-17 1:40 a.m., Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> [...]
>> you need me for any of this? :)

>>> https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/kernel/android-common
>>> Feature and launch kernels provides kernels supported per version.
>>
>> Oh nice, didn't know that.
>>
>> But note, Android kernels do not reflect the lifespan of LTS kernels.
>> If that were the case, I would still be supporting 3.18 as they are
>> doing that at the moment for their devices and customers, and will be
>> doing so for I think another full year.
>>
>> So while Android is nice to see here, remember that is what Google is
>> promising to support for their users. You can do the same thing for
>> your users, what do you need me here for this? You can do the same
>> thing that Google is doing for 3.18 right now, pick the stable fixes
>> from upstream, backport them, test them, and push them out to their
>> users.
>>
>> While Google is a great help to me in the LTS effort, providing huge
>> amounts of resources to enable my life easier with this (i.e. funding
>> Linaro's testing efforts), their promise to their customers/users does
>> not depend on me keeping LTS kernels alive, if I stopped tomorrow their
>> contracts are still in place and they know how to do this work
>> themselves (as is proof with 3.18).
>>
>> So you can provide the same kind of guarantee to support any kernel
>> version for any amount of time to any customer you like, it shouldn't
>> require me to do that work for you, right?

>>> Perhaps a new name needs to be made for "LTS" for 6 years to distinguish it from 2 years.
>>> The timeframes are very different.
>>
>> At this point in time, anyone wanting a kernel longer than 2 years
>> should know how this all works.
>>
>> If not, please do some basic research, I have written whitepapers on
>> this and given numerous talks. The information is out there...

>>> No, but why do we need to keep playing the same game every year now.
>>
>> Because, 5.4 almost did not become "6 years" of support from me. That
>> was because in the beginning, no one said they were going to use it in
>> their devices and offer me help in testing and backporting. Only when I
>> knew for sure that we had people helping this out did I change the date
>> on kernel.org.
>>
>> So far the jury is still out for 5.10, are you willing to help with
>> this? If not, why are you willing to hope that others are going to do
>> your work for you? I am talking to some companies, but am not willing
>> to commit to anything in public just yet, because no one has committed
>> to me yet.
>
> Following up on this as I did not hear back from you. Are you and/or
> your company willing to help out with the testing of 5.10 to ensure that
> it is a LTS kernel? So far I have not had any companies agree to help
> out with this effort, which is sad to see as it seems that companies
> want 6 years of stable kernels, yet do not seem to be able to at the
> least, do a test-build/run of those kernels, which is quite odd...
I personally cannot commit to supporting this kernel for 6 years
(and personally do not want to backport new features to a 6 year old kernel).
And customers are finicky and ask for one thing and then change their mind later.
We'll have to see what decisions are made at a company level for this as there
are added costs to run tests on LTS kernel branches. We already run extensive QA on
whatever active development branches are in use and a subset on the mainline
branch as well. QA resources are finite and committing those for 6 years is
not something that makes sense if customers drop that kernel version.
Testing of the LTS kernel changes really moves out of our hands and into the
customer's testing after our major releases to them.

Other difficulty with the LTS version is the frequency it is updated. We would not
pickup the changes that frequently to test. A quarterly, bi-annually, or when a critical fix
is identified would be when we update and perform any meaningful testing when in maintainence.

> If you want to point people at your company this link that explains it
> all in a single location instead of an email thread:
> http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2021/02/03/helping-out-with-lts-kernel-releases/
> that would be great.
Thanks for the link. Will forward it to see if it helps make any commitment from customers
or company.

The link Pavel sent looks interesting.
"CIP project intends to maintain 5.10 for a long time, so you can expect testing/help from them:
https://www.cip-project.org/blog/2020/12/02/cip-to-embark-on-kernel-5-10-development-for-slts
"

If the CIP project has committed to 10 years you would think they would be in contact
with you to add their support to the 5.10 LTS effort.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks,
Scott