Re: [GIT PULL] thermal for v5.12-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 22 2021 - 12:46:11 EST

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:54 AM Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Note a set of changes for the qcom adc driver rely on an immutable
> branch from the iio tree:

That part is fine, but what _isn't_ great is the merge commit message.

This is the message in its entirety:

"Merge remote-tracking branch
'iio-thermal-5.11-rc1/ib-iio-thermal-5.11-rc1' into testing"

Notice how it doesn't say _anything_ useful.

Merges are commits, and they should have commit messages with
*explanation* the same way all regular commits should. In fact, they
generally should have *more* explanation, since they are fundamentally
more interesting and subtle than some one-liner obvious bug-fix.

So this all looks otherwise fine, and I like how you were clearly
aware of the whole cross-tree merge, and how you let me kn0ow about
it. I appreciate that part, and I've pulled your branch.

But I wanted to really take this moment to point out that merge
commits really should have messages explaining *why* and *what* got
merged. Not just the technical "I merged that tree".

Linus