Re: [GIT PULL] Modules updates for v5.12

From: Rasmus Villemoes
Date: Wed Feb 24 2021 - 14:37:52 EST

On 24/02/2021 15.40, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 5:33 PM Jessica Yu <jeyu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> +++ Linus Torvalds [23/02/21 12:03 -0800]:

>>> Crossed emails.
>>>
>>> This is plain "make allmodconfig", so yes, now it will enable TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS.
>>>
>>> This is unacceptably slow. If that symbol trimming takes 30% of the
>>> whole kernel build time, it needs to be fixed or removed.
>>
>> [ Adding Masahiro to CC ]
>>
>> It looks like CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS had been hiding behind
>> CONFIG_UNUSED_SYMBOLS all this time, and once the EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
>> stuff was removed, it exposed that option to be selected by
>> allyesconfig. That option had previously caused build issues on
>> powerpc on linux-next, so I had temporarily marked that as BROKEN on
>> powerpc until Masahiro's fix landed in linux-next. I was not aware of
>> the additional build slowdown issue :/ In any case, Christoph's
>> suggestion to invert the option sounds reasonable, since the mips
>> defconfig selects it, it does not seem totally unused.
>

> TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS builds the tree twice by its concept.
>
> [1] 1st build
> At this point of time, we do not know which EXPORT_SYMBOL()
> is needed. So, EXPORT_SYMBOL() is enabled, or noop'ed
> based on the temporal guess.
> (in the fresh build, EXPORT_SYMBOL() are all nooped.)
>
> [2] Get the list of symbols needed to resolve all symbol references.
> (this information is collected in include/generated/autoksyms.h)
>
> [3] 2nd build
> Rebuild the objects whose EXPORT_SYMBOL()
> must be flipped.

I'm thinking we should be able to generate a linker script snippet from
[2] and use that when linking vmlinux, so there's no recursion and no
rebuild of individual .o files (and all the __cond_export_sym trickery
goes away).

The ksymtab entry for foo is already emitted in its own ___ksymtab+foo
section (or ___ksymtab_gpl+foo). So if the sorted list of undefined
symbols listed in the .mod files (plus the whitelist) consist of foo,
bar and baz, generate a header to be included by vmlinux.lds.h that says

#define KSYMTAB_SECTIONS \
___ksymtab+foo \
___ksymtab+bar \
___ksymtab+baz \

#define KSYMTAB_GPL_SECTIONS \
___ksymtab_gpl+foo \
___ksymtab_gpl+bar \
___ksymtab_gpl+baz \

with a !CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS definition of these that just says

#define KSYMTAB_SECTIONS ___ksymtab+*
#define KSYMTAB_GPL_SECTIONS ___ksymtab_gpl+*

and use that

__ksymtab AT(ADDR(__ksymtab) - LOAD_OFFSET) { \
__start___ksymtab = .; \
KEEP(*(SORT(KSYMTAB_SECTIONS))) \
__stop___ksymtab = .; \

Only one of ___ksymtab+foo and ___ksymtab_gpl+foo will exist, but that
doesn't matter (it's really no different from the fact that many files
(i.e. the * before "(SORT") don't contain any section matching
___ksymtab_gpl+*).

We may then have to add another discard section to put the remaining
___ksymtab_gpl+* sections in, but that's fine as long as that stanza
just appears later in the linker script.

If LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION was more widely supported (and I was
surprised to see that it's not even available on arm or x86) one could
also play another game, dropping the KEEP()s and instead create a linker
script snippet containing EXTERN(__ksymtab_foo __ksymtab_bar ...),
referencing the "struct kernel_symbol" elements themselves rather than
the singleton sections they reside in.

Rasmus