Re: tasks-trace RCU: question about grace period forward progress

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Feb 25 2021 - 10:38:05 EST

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 09:22:48AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Answering a question from Peter on IRC got me to look at rcu_read_lock_trace(), and I see this:
>
> static inline void rcu_read_lock_trace(void)
> {
> struct task_struct *t = current;
>
> WRITE_ONCE(t->trc_reader_nesting, READ_ONCE(t->trc_reader_nesting) + 1);
> barrier();
> if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_TASKS_TRACE_RCU_READ_MB) &&
> t->trc_reader_special.b.need_mb)
> smp_mb(); // Pairs with update-side barriers
> rcu_lock_acquire(&rcu_trace_lock_map);
> }
>
> static inline void rcu_read_unlock_trace(void)
> {
> int nesting;
> struct task_struct *t = current;
>
> rcu_lock_release(&rcu_trace_lock_map);
> nesting = READ_ONCE(t->trc_reader_nesting) - 1;
> barrier(); // Critical section before disabling.
> // Disable IPI-based setting of .need_qs.
> WRITE_ONCE(t->trc_reader_nesting, INT_MIN);
> if (likely(!READ_ONCE(t->trc_reader_special.s)) || nesting) {
> WRITE_ONCE(t->trc_reader_nesting, nesting);
> return; // We assume shallow reader nesting.
> }
> rcu_read_unlock_trace_special(t, nesting);
> }
>
> AFAIU, each thread keeps track of whether it is nested within a RCU read-side critical
> section with a counter, and grace periods iterate over all threads to make sure they
> are not within a read-side critical section before they can complete:
>
> # define rcu_tasks_trace_qs(t) \
> do { \
> if (!likely(READ_ONCE((t)->trc_reader_checked)) && \
> !unlikely(READ_ONCE((t)->trc_reader_nesting))) { \
> smp_store_release(&(t)->trc_reader_checked, true); \
> smp_mb(); /* Readers partitioned by store. */ \
> } \
> } while (0)
>
> It reminds me of the liburcu urcu-mb flavor which also deals with per-thread
> state to track whether threads are nested within a critical section:
>
> https://github.com/urcu/userspace-rcu/blob/master/include/urcu/static/urcu-mb.h#L90
> https://github.com/urcu/userspace-rcu/blob/master/include/urcu/static/urcu-mb.h#L125
>
> static inline void _urcu_mb_read_lock_update(unsigned long tmp)
> {
> if (caa_likely(!(tmp & URCU_GP_CTR_NEST_MASK))) {
> _CMM_STORE_SHARED(URCU_TLS(urcu_mb_reader).ctr, _CMM_LOAD_SHARED(urcu_mb_gp.ctr));
> cmm_smp_mb();
> } else
> _CMM_STORE_SHARED(URCU_TLS(urcu_mb_reader).ctr, tmp + URCU_GP_COUNT);
> }
>
> static inline void _urcu_mb_read_lock(void)
> {
> unsigned long tmp;
>
> urcu_assert(URCU_TLS(urcu_mb_reader).registered);
> cmm_barrier();
> tmp = URCU_TLS(urcu_mb_reader).ctr;
> urcu_assert((tmp & URCU_GP_CTR_NEST_MASK) != URCU_GP_CTR_NEST_MASK);
> _urcu_mb_read_lock_update(tmp);
> }

> [...]

There are several mechanisms designed to handle this. The following
paragraphs describe these at a high level.

The trc_wait_for_one_reader() is invoked on each task. It uses the
try_invoke_on_locked_down_task(), which, if the task is currently not
running, keeps it that way and invokes trc_inspect_reader(). If the
locked-down task is in a read-side critical section, the need_qs field
is set, which will cause the task's next rcu_read_lock_trace() to report
the quiescent state.

If read-side memory barriers have been enabled, trc_inspect_reader()
is able to check for a reader being active, and if not, reports the
quiescent state. If there is a reader, trc_inspect_reader() reports
failure, which is another path to the following paragraph.

If the task could not be locked down due its currently running,
then trc_wait_for_one_reader() attempts to send an IPI, which results in
trc_read_check_handler() rechecking for a read-side critical section
and either reporting the quiescent state immediately or proceding in the
same way that trc_inspect_reader() does. The trc_read_check_handler()
of course checks to make sure that the target task is still running
before doing anything. If the attempt to send the IPI fails, then
the task is rechecked in a later pass.

So what sequence of events did you find that causes these mechanisms
to fail?

Thanx, Paul