Re: NFS Caching broken in 4.19.37

From: Timo Rothenpieler
Date: Fri Feb 26 2021 - 10:49:24 EST

On 26.02.2021 16:40, Anton Ivanov wrote:
These are two different clients, then what you see is possible on NFS with client side caching. If you have multiple clients reading/writing to the same files you usually need to tune the caching options and/or use locking. I suspect that if you leave it for a while (until the cache expires) it will sort itself out.

Yes, letting the client sit for just a few minutes (without interacting with file or directory in question) gets it back in sync with the server.

In my test-case it is just one client, it missed a file deletion and nothing short of an unmount and remount fixes that. I have waited for 30 mins+. It does not seem to refresh or expire. I also see the opposite behavior - the bug shows up on 4.x up to at least 5.4. I do not see it on 5.10.

Yeah, that's indeed different, though still looks somewhat similar.
Makes me wonder if what fixed that issue is what's causing mine.

The primarily broken use case here is users starting their SLURM jobs, and then observing them via "tail -f slurm.out", which has worked perfectly fine in the past, prior to the update from 5.4 to 5.10.