regression with TTY changes in v5.12-rc1

From: Pierre-Louis Bossart
Date: Thu Mar 04 2021 - 09:40:20 EST

Hi,
Our SOF/audio CI shows an across-the-board regression when we try v5.12-rc1, specifically on pause/resume tests with an interactive terminal running 'aplay -i' commands managed by expect to simulate the user pressing the space bar to pause/unpause. It turns out the processes are not longer killed and the audio devices remain busy (see publicly available test results listed below).

git bisect points to commit 33d4ae9885987 ("drivers:tty:pty: Fix a race
causing data loss on close"). Reverting the patch fixes the issue on all test devices.

Further analysis with Corey Minyard points to a problem where a slave tty will not get a SIGHUP when the master is closed.

Unless there is an alternate fix, a revert looks necessary?

Regards
-Pierre

https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/pull/2772
https://sof-ci.01.org/linuxpr/PR2772/build5352/devicetest/