What clockevents are needed to boot properly?

From: Theodore Dubois
Date: Sun Mar 07 2021 - 19:17:06 EST

I'm playing around with a new kernel arch and running into problems with properly configuring the clockevents, especially with SMP. Without SMP you can easily set up a clockevents masked to cpu 0, and this seems to work fine. But on SMP this fails silently: high-res timers created on cpu != 0 never fire.

The obvious next thing to try would be to set the mask of the clockevents to cpu_possible_mask, but this silently fails as well: the clockevents just doesn't get used at all. There seem to be a lot of drivers in the tree that do this, I'm not sure why it works for those.

Do you have to register a new clockevents for each CPU? I can't find a lot of information on this.

~Theodore