Re: A problem of Intel IOMMU hardware ?

From: Nadav Amit
Date: Thu Mar 18 2021 - 12:47:20 EST

> On Mar 18, 2021, at 2:25 AM, Longpeng (Mike, Cloud Infrastructure Service Product Dept.) <longpeng2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So here is my guess:

Intel probably used as a basis for the IOTLB an implementation of
some other (regular) TLB design.

Intel SDM says regarding TLBs (4.10.4.2 “Recommended Invalidation”):

"Software wishing to prevent this uncertainty should not write to
a paging-structure entry in a way that would change, for any linear
address, both the page size and either the page frame, access rights,
or other attributes.”

Now the aforementioned uncertainty is a bit different (multiple
*valid* translations of a single address). Yet, perhaps this is
yet another thing that might happen.

From a brief look on the handling of MMU (not IOMMU) hugepages
in Linux, indeed the PMD is first cleared and flushed before a
new valid PMD is set. This is possible for MMUs since they
allow the software to handle spurious page-faults gracefully.
This is not the case for the IOMMU though (without PRI).

Not sure this explains everything though. If that is the problem,
then during a mapping that changes page-sizes, a TLB flush is
needed, similarly to the one Longpeng did manually.