Re: sparc: clang: error: unknown argument: '-mno-fpu'

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Fri Mar 19 2021 - 07:57:13 EST

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/19/21 12:31 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:36 AM Naresh Kamboju
> > <naresh.kamboju@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Linux mainline master build breaks for sparc defconfig.
> >> There are multiple errors / warnings with clang-12 and clang-11 and 10.
> >> - sparc (defconfig) with clang-12, clang-11 and clang-10
> >> - sparc (tinyconfig) with clang-12, clang-11 and clang-10
> >> - sparc (allnoconfig) with clang-12, clang-11 and clang-10
> >>
> >> make --silent --keep-going --jobs=8
> >> O=/home/tuxbuild/.cache/tuxmake/builds/1/tmp ARCH=sparc
> >> CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-linux-gnu- 'HOSTCC=sccache clang' 'CC=sccache
> >> clang'
> >
> > I don't think anyone has successfully built a sparc kernel with clang,
> > and I don't
> > think it's worth trying either, given how little upstream work the
> > sparc port sees overall.
>
> We'll get there. There are some other SPARC-related clang bugs that need
> to be squashed first. We have made quite some improvements and it's actually
> maintained by the community. Of course, we don't have a commercial backer
> but that shouldn't be necessary for open source to work.

I meant there is no point for Naresh to do it as part of his build
testing with tuxmake.
If someone else gets it working, they can tell Naresh to try again, but until
then, I'd limit clang regression testing to x86, arm, powerpc, s390, mips, riscv
and arc.

Arnd