Re: [mm, net-next v2] mm: net: memcg accounting for TCP rx zerocopy

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Thu Mar 25 2021 - 13:51:45 EST

On Thu 25-03-21 12:47:04, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:02:28AM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > I do not follow the ref==1 part. I mean to use the hugetlb model where
> > the destructore is configured for the whole lifetime until the page is
> > freed back to the allocator (see below).
>
> That only works if the destructor field doesn't overlap with a member
> the page type itself doesn't want to use. Page types that do want to
> use it would need to keep that field exclusive.

Right.

> We couldn't use it for LRU pages e.g. because it overlaps with the
> lru.next pointer.

Dang, I have completely missed this. I was looking at pahole because
struct page is unreadable in the C code but I tricked myself to only
look at offset 16. The initial set of candidate looked really
promissing. But overlapping with list_head is a deal breaker. This makes
use of dtor for most order-0 pages indeed unfeasible. Maybe dtor can be
rellocated but that is certain a rabbit hole people (rightfully) avoid
as much as possible. So you are right and going with networking specific
way is more reasonable.

[...]
> So again, yes it would be nice to have generic destructors, but I just
> don't see how it's practical.

just to clarify on this. I didn't really mean to use this mechanism to
all/most pages I just wanted to have PageHasDestructor rather than
PageNetwork because both would express a special nead for freeing but
that would require that the dtor would be outside of lru.

Thanks!
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs