Re: A problem of Intel IOMMU hardware ?

From: Lu Baolu
Date: Fri Mar 26 2021 - 22:57:12 EST

Hi Nadav,

On 3/19/21 12:46 AM, Nadav Amit wrote:
So here is my guess:

Intel probably used as a basis for the IOTLB an implementation of
some other (regular) TLB design.

Intel SDM says regarding TLBs (4.10.4.2 “Recommended Invalidation”):

"Software wishing to prevent this uncertainty should not write to
a paging-structure entry in a way that would change, for any linear
address, both the page size and either the page frame, access rights,
or other attributes.”

Now the aforementioned uncertainty is a bit different (multiple
*valid* translations of a single address). Yet, perhaps this is
yet another thing that might happen.

From a brief look on the handling of MMU (not IOMMU) hugepages
in Linux, indeed the PMD is first cleared and flushed before a
new valid PMD is set. This is possible for MMUs since they
allow the software to handle spurious page-faults gracefully.
This is not the case for the IOMMU though (without PRI).

Not sure this explains everything though. If that is the problem,
then during a mapping that changes page-sizes, a TLB flush is
needed, similarly to the one Longpeng did manually.

I have been working with Longpeng on this issue these days. It turned
out that your guess is right. The PMD is first cleared but not flushed
before a new valid one is set. The previous entry might be cached in the
paging structure caches hence leads to disaster.

In __domain_mapping():

2352 /*
2353 * Ensure that old small page tables are
2354 * removed to make room for superpage(s).
2355 * We're adding new large pages, so make sure
2356 * we don't remove their parent tables.
2357 */
2358 dma_pte_free_pagetable(domain, iov_pfn, end_pfn,
2359 largepage_lvl + 1);

I guess adding a cache flush operation after PMD switching should solve
the problem.

I am still not clear about this comment:

"
This is possible for MMUs since they allow the software to handle
spurious page-faults gracefully. This is not the case for the IOMMU
though (without PRI).
"

Can you please shed more light on this?

Best regards,