Re: Fix hibernation in FIPS mode?

From: Ard Biesheuvel
Date: Thu Apr 01 2021 - 14:53:46 EST

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 15:38, Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 10:47 AM Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not really.
>
> CRC32 is not really sufficient for integrity checking here AFAICS. It
> might be made a fallback option if MD5 is not available, but making it
> the default would be somewhat over the top IMO.
>
> > > If the integrity check is used exclusively to verify there were no
> > > accidental changes and is not used as a security measure, by all means
> > > I agree that using crc32 is a better idea.
> > >

> > Looking at 62a03defeabd58f74e07ca030d6c21e069d4d88e which introduced
> > this, it is only a best effort check which is simply omitted if md5
> > happens to be unavailable, so there is definitely no need for crypto
> > here.
>
> Yes, it is about integrity checking only. No, CRC32 is not equivalent
> to MD5 in that respect AFAICS.

There are two possibilities:
- we care about an adversary attempting to forge a collision, in which
case you need a cryptographic hash which is not broken;
- we only care about integrity, in which case crypto is overkill, and
CRC32 is sufficient. (Note that the likelihood of an honest,
inadvertent modification not being caught by CRC32 is 1 in 4 billion)

MD5 does not meet either requirement, given that it is known to be
broken, and overkill for simple integrity checks. MD5 should be phased
out and removed, and moving this code onto the correct abstraction
would be a reasonable step towards that goal.