Re: [RFCv1 7/7] KVM: unmap guest memory using poisoned pages

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Wed Apr 07 2021 - 10:09:57 EST

On 07.04.21 15:16, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 04:57:46PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
On 06.04.21 16:33, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 4/6/21 12:44 AM, David Hildenbrand wrote:
On 02.04.21 17:26, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
TDX architecture aims to provide resiliency against confidentiality and
integrity attacks. Towards this goal, the TDX architecture helps enforce
the enabling of memory integrity for all TD-private memory.

The CPU memory controller computes the integrity check value (MAC) for
the data (cache line) during writes, and it stores the MAC with the
memory as meta-data. A 28-bit MAC is stored in the ECC bits.

Checking of memory integrity is performed during memory reads. If
integrity check fails, CPU poisones cache line.

On a subsequent consumption (read) of the poisoned data by software,
there are two possible scenarios:

  - Core determines that the execution can continue and it treats
    poison with exception semantics signaled as a #MCE

  - Core determines execution cannot continue,and it does an unbreakable
    shutdown

For more details, see Chapter 14 of Intel TDX Module EAS[1]

As some of integrity check failures may lead to system shutdown host
kernel must not allow any writes to TD-private memory. This requirment
clashes with KVM design: KVM expects the guest memory to be mapped into
host userspace (e.g. QEMU).

So what you are saying is that if QEMU would write to such memory, it
could crash the kernel? What a broken design.

IMNHO, the broken design is mapping the memory to userspace in the first
place. Why the heck would you actually expose something with the MMU to
a context that can't possibly meaningfully access or safely write to it?

I'd say the broken design is being able to crash the machine via a simple
memory write, instead of only crashing a single process in case you're doing
something nasty. From the evaluation of the problem it feels like this was a
CPU design workaround: instead of properly cleaning up when it gets tricky
within the core, just crash the machine. And that's a CPU "feature", not a
kernel "feature". Now we have to fix broken HW in the kernel - once again.

However, you raise a valid point: it does not make too much sense to to map
this into user space. Not arguing against that; but crashing the machine is
just plain ugly.

I wonder: why do we even *want* a VMA/mmap describing that memory? Sounds
like: for hacking support for that memory type into QEMU/KVM.

This all feels wrong, but I cannot really tell how it could be better. That
memory can really only be used (right now?) with hardware virtualization
from some point on. From that point on (right from the start?), there should
be no VMA/mmap/page tables for user space anymore.

Or am I missing something? Is there still valid user space access?

There is. For IO (e.g. virtio) the guest mark a range of memory as shared
(or unencrypted for AMD SEV). The range is not pre-defined.

Ah right, rings a bell. One obvious alternative would be to let user space only explicitly map what is shared and can be safely accessed, instead of doing it the other way around. But that obviously requires more thought/work and clashes with future MM changes you discuss below.

This started with SEV. QEMU creates normal memory mappings with the SEV
C-bit (encryption) disabled. The kernel plumbs those into NPT, but when
those are instantiated, they have the C-bit set. So, we have mismatched
mappings. Where does that lead? The two mappings not only differ in
the encryption bit, causing one side to read gibberish if the other
writes: they're not even cache coherent.

That's the situation *TODAY*, even ignoring TDX.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the "why would you expose this
to userspace" question: it's what QEMU/KVM did alreadhy for
non-encrypted memory, so this was the quickest way to get SEV working.

Yes, I guess so. It was the fastest way to "hack" it into QEMU.

Would we ever even want a VMA/mmap/process page tables for that memory? How
could user space ever do something *not so nasty* with that memory (in the
current context of VMs)?

In the future, the memory should be still managable by host MM: migration,
swapping, etc. But it's long way there. For now, the guest memory

I was involved in the s390x implementation where this already works, simply because whenever encrypted memory is read/written from the hypervisor, you simple read/write the encrypted data; once the VM accesses that memory, it reads/writes unencrypted memory. For this reason, migration, swapping etc. works fairly naturally.

I do wonder how x86-64 wants to tackle that; In the far future, will it be valid to again read/write encrypted memory, especially from user space?

effectively pinned on the host.

Right, I remember that limitation for SEV.

Thanks!

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb