Re: Linux 5.12

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Apr 25 2021 - 20:00:29 EST

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 02:06:35PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Thanks to everybody who made last week very calm indeed, which just
> makes me feel much happier about the final 5.12 release.
>
> Both the shortlog (appended) and the diffstat are absolutely tiny, and
> it's mainly just a random collection of small fixes in various areas:
> arm64 devicetree files, some x86 perf event fixes (and a couple of
> tooling ones), various minor driver fixes (amd and i915 gpu fixes
> stand out, but honestly, that's not because they are big, but because
> the rest is even smaller), a couple of small reverts, and a few
> locking fixes (one kvm serialization fix, one memory ordering fix for
> rwlocks).
>
> Anyway, this obviously means that I'll start the merge window for 5.13
> tomorrow. But I'd ask that even developers champing at the bit to get
> their shiny new code merged please spend a bit of time running and
> checking out 5.12.
>
> Despite the extra week, this was actually a fairly small release
> overall. Judging by linux-next, 5.13 will be making up for it.

I wonder if it makes sense to report the status of -next at the beginning
of a commit window on a regular basis.

For next-20210423:

Build results:
total: 151 pass: 149 fail: 2
Failed builds:
csky:tinyconfig
mips:allnoconfig
Qemu test results:
total: 461 pass: 440 fail: 21
Failed tests:
arm:raspi2:multi_v7_defconfig:net,usb:bcm2836-rpi-2-b:initrd
arm:raspi2:multi_v7_defconfig:sd:net,usb:bcm2836-rpi-2-b:rootfs
mipsel:mips32r6-generic:malta_32r6_defconfig:nocd:smp:net,pcnet:ide:rootfs
<all riscv32>

Let's see how many of those problems find their way into mainline.

Guenter