Re: Scheduler benchmarks

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Thu Apr 29 2021 - 17:32:12 EST

Em Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 03:46:06PM +0530, Muni Sekhar escreveu:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:45 PM peter enderborg <peter.enderborg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > But unfortunately the newer kernel is very slow, that is the reason
> > > for starting this investigation :)
> > > Any type of help, and guidelines to dive deeper will be highly appreciated.
> >
> > On the 4.4 kernel you dont have
> >
> > +CONFIG_RETPOLINE=y
> > +CONFIG_INTEL_RDT=y
> Thanks! That is helpful. Yes, I see 4.4 kernel don't have the above
> two config options.
> What analysis can be done to narrow down the root cause?
> Any example of reference could be helpful to understand.

This made me remember Lisbon:

http://vger.kernel.org/~acme/perf/bpf-is-eating-the-world-dont-you-see-lpc-lisbon-2019/#/8/2

Greg was there when this slide was first shown... ;-)

Look at the icache misses when the kernel is entered (syscall entry).

Then add this to the kernel command line: "nospectre_v1 nospectre_v2"

And see what happens:

http://vger.kernel.org/~acme/perf/bpf-is-eating-the-world-dont-you-see-lpc-lisbon-2019/#/8/3

So using these (and any new ones related to disabling hardware flaw
mitigation) maybe a way to analyse this, if you haven't figured this out
yet, sorry for the huge delay in replying 8-)

- Arnaldo

--

- Arnaldo