Re: Very slow clang kernel config ..

From: Tom Stellard
Date: Fri Apr 30 2021 - 23:33:18 EST

On 4/30/21 6:48 PM, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 6:22 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 5:25 PM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah, no, sorry, these are the runtime link editor/loader. So probably
spending quite some time resolving symbols in large binaries.

Yeah. Appended is the profile I see when I profile that "make
oldconfig", so about 45% of all time seems to be spent in just symbol
lookup and relocation.

And a fair amount of time just creating and tearing down that huge
executable (with a lot of copy-on-write overhead too), with the kernel
side of that being another 15%. The cost of that is likely also fairly
directly linked to all the dynamic linking costs, which brings in all
that data.

Just to compare, btw, this is the symbol lookup overhead for the gcc case:

1.43% ld-2.33.so do_lookup_x
0.96% ld-2.33.so _dl_relocate_object
0.69% ld-2.33.so _dl_lookup_symbol_x

so it really does seem to be something very odd going on with the clang binary.

Maybe the Fedora binary is built some odd way, but it's likely just
the default clang build.

Linus

----
23.59% ld-2.33.so _dl_lookup_symbol_x
11.41% ld-2.33.so _dl_relocate_object
9.95% ld-2.33.so do_lookup_x
4.00% [kernel.vmlinux] copy_page
3.98% [kernel.vmlinux] next_uptodate_page
3.05% [kernel.vmlinux] zap_pte_range
1.81% [kernel.vmlinux] clear_page_rep
1.68% [kernel.vmlinux] asm_exc_page_fault
1.33% ld-2.33.so strcmp
1.33% ld-2.33.so check_match

47.61% spent in symbol table lookup. Nice. (Not counting probably a
fair amount of the libc calls below).

0.92% libLLVM-12.so llvm::StringMapImpl::LookupBucketFor

^ wait a minute; notice how in your profile the `Shared Object` is
attributed to `libLLVM-12.so` while mine is `clang-13`? Clang can be
built as either having libllvm statically linked or dynamically; see
the cmake variables
LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB:BOOL
LLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB:BOOL
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL
https://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html

I think those are frowned upon; useful for cutting down on developers
iteration speed due to not having to relink llvm when developing
clang. But shipping that in production? I just checked and it doesn't
look like we do that for AOSP's build of LLVM.

BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is the only one that is discouraged and we don't use
that in Fedora any more. We just use LLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB and the
clang equivalent.

Tom, is one of the above intentionally set for clang builds on Fedora?
I'm guessing it's intentional that there are packages for
libLLVM-12.so and libclang-cpp.so.12, perhaps they have other
dependents?

Yes, it's intentional. Dynamic linking libraries from other packages is
the Fedora policy[1], and clang and llvm are separate packages (in Fedora).

- Tom

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_statically_linking_executables

0.83% [kernel.vmlinux] rmqueue_bulk
0.77% conf yylex
0.75% libc-2.33.so __gconv_transform_utf8_internal
0.74% libc-2.33.so _int_malloc
0.69% libc-2.33.so __strlen_avx2
0.62% [kernel.vmlinux] pagecache_get_page
0.58% [kernel.vmlinux] page_remove_rmap
0.56% [kernel.vmlinux] __handle_mm_fault
0.54% [kernel.vmlinux] filemap_map_pages
0.54% libc-2.33.so __strcmp_avx2
0.54% [kernel.vmlinux] __free_one_page
0.52% [kernel.vmlinux] release_pages