Re: Very slow clang kernel config ..

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun May 02 2021 - 13:55:38 EST

On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 09:49:44AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 9:45 AM Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Mesa and PostgreSQL are among the packages that do use libLLVM.so,
> > this is a popular library for implementing compilers and JITs.
>
> Yes, and it's entirely reasonable to update those packages if it turns
> out libLLVM has a bug in it.
>
> Because we're talking about a small handful of packages, not some kind
> of "everything" model.
>
> So again, what's your point?

Two dozen other packages are linking directly with libLLVM.so.

Are you happy about libclang.so being a shared library?
libclang.so uses libLLVM.so, which adds another 10 indirect users.

Debian ships 30k source packages that build 60k binary packages,
with 3 years of security support (plus 2 years LTS).

It makes things a lot easier from a distribution point of view if a bug
in libLLVM can be fixed just there, instead of having to additionally
find and rebuild the 30 or more source packages building binary packages
that use libLLVM in a security update for a stable release of a distribution.

> Linus

cu
Adrian