Re: Handling of USB "Programmable button" controls as KEY_MACRO# events

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Tue May 18 2021 - 09:45:01 EST

Hi,

On 5/18/21 3:21 PM, Thomas Weißschuh wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Would it make sense to map the "Programmable Buttons" control from the
> USB HID Consumer page [0] to the linux event codes KEY_MACRO1 ... KEY_MACRO# ?
>
> Those controls are documented in the USB spec as:
>
> "The user defines the function of these
> buttons to control software applications or GUI objects."
>
> The KEY_MACRO event codes are documented with:
>
> "Some keyboards have keys which do not have a defined meaning, these keys
> are intended to be programmed / bound to macros by the user."
>
> My usecase is the passing of custom keycodes from a programmable keypad
> (via QMK[1]) to Linux.
> (This would also need new functionality in QMK itself)

I think the idea is good, but AFAICT the HUT does not actually assign
any usage codes in the consumer-page for this. It simply points to the
Button usage-page, which means things conflict with e.g. mouse and joystick
buttons and I do not see any dedicated codes in the table
"Table 15.1: Consumer Page" so I'm not sure how to interpret the spec. here ...

I guess there is something which we can do with the report's application here,
since the code dealing with HID_UP_BUTTON is already doing a switch-case
on field->application to differentiate between mouse and gaming buttons.

I guess interpreting an application of HID_CP_CONSUMER_CONTROL in combination
with using the buttons usage-page as wat the HUT is trying to specify and
thus map that the first 30 codes in that combination to KEY_MACRO1 - 30
might make sense.

Regards,

Hans