Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [syzbot] INFO: rcu detected stall in tx

From: dave penkler
Date: Wed May 19 2021 - 04:48:55 EST

On Sat, 8 May 2021 at 16:29, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, May 08, 2021 at 10:14:41AM +0200, dave penkler wrote:

host controller driver

> > When the host driver detects a protocol error while processing an URB
> > it completes the URB with EPROTO status and marks the endpoint as
> > halted.
>
> Not true. It does not mark the endpoint as halted, not unless it
> receives a STALL handshake from the device. A STALL is not a protocol
> error.
>
> > When the class driver resubmits the URB and the if the host driver
> > finds the endpoint still marked as halted it should return EPIPE
> > status on the resubmitted URB
>
> Irrelevant.
Not at all. The point is that when an application is talking to an
instrument over the usbtmc driver, the underlying host controller and
its driver will detect and silence a babbling endpoint.
Hence no EPROTO loop will ensue in this case and therefore no changes
are needed in usbtmc.