Re: [syzbot] INFO: rcu detected stall in tx

From: Thinh Nguyen
Date: Mon May 24 2021 - 18:49:07 EST

Mathias Nyman wrote:
> On 24.5.2021 22.23, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
>> Alan Stern wrote:

>>> That's not good. There may not be a timeout; drivers expect transfers
>>> to complete with a failure, not to be retried indefinitely.
>>>
>>> However, if you do know which endpoint/stream the error is connected to,
>>> you should be able to get the URB. It will be the first one queued for
>>> that endpoint/stream.
>>>

>> When the xhci can't recover a transfer with soft-retry, no outstanding
>> transfer can proceed/complete for the endpoint. If the TRB pointer is 0,
>> we just don't know which stream or endpoint ring it's for, but we know
>> all the outstanding URBs of an endpoint. Let's may as well return an
>> error status for all of them after a limited number of soft-retries.
>
> We get the endpoint, but not the stream.

Right.

> I guess we could walk through each stream of this endpoint, and return the
> first URB of every stream that has a pending URB.
> xHCI spec claims to supports 65533 streams per endpoint, but in real life
> UAS probably only uses a few per endpoint?
>
> -Mathias

Typically UASP devices advertise to support up to 32 streams. We notice
that some newer builds of Windows OS has a bug (or intentional?) that it
rejects any device that uses more or less than 32 streams (probably a
bug) in the descriptor.

I think we only need to do this if we don't know which stream the event
belongs to. Otherwise, we can keep the old logic.

BR,
Thinh