RE: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Tue Jun 01 2021 - 03:50:55 EST

There are at least two intended usages:

1) From previous discussion looks PPC's window-based scheme can be
better supported with software nesting (a shared IOVA address space
as the parent (shared by all devices) which is nested by multiple windows
as the children (per-device);

2) Some mdev drivers (e.g. kvmgt) may want to do write-protection on
guest data structures (base address programmed to mediated MMIO
register). The base address is IOVA while KVM page-tracking API is
based on GPA. nesting allows finding GPA according to IOVA.

Thanks
Kevin