Re: [RFCv2 13/13] KVM: unmap guest memory using poisoned pages

From: Kirill A. Shutemov
Date: Wed Jun 02 2021 - 19:35:00 EST

On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 05:51:02PM +0000, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> > Omitting FOLL_GUEST for shared memory doesn't look like a right approach.
> > IIUC, it would require the kernel to track what memory is share and what
> > private, which defeat the purpose of the rework. I would rather enforce
> > !PageGuest() when share SEPT is populated in addition to enforcing
> > PageGuest() fro private SEPT.
>
> Isn't that what omitting FOLL_GUEST would accomplish? For shared memory,
> including mapping memory into the shared EPT, KVM will omit FOLL_GUEST and thus
> require the memory to be readable/writable according to the guest access type.

Ah. I guess I see what you're saying: we can pipe down the shared bit from
GPA from direct_page_fault() (or whatever handles the fault) down to
hva_to_pfn_slow() and omit FOLL_GUEST if the shared bit is set. Right?

I guest it's doable, but codeshuffling going to be ugly.

> By definition, that excludes PageGuest() because PageGuest() pages must always
> be unmapped, e.g. PROTNONE. And for private EPT, because PageGuest() is always
> PROTNONE or whatever, it will require FOLL_GUEST to retrieve the PTE/PMD/Pxx.
>
> On a semi-related topic, I don't think can_follow_write_pte() is the correct
> place to hook PageGuest(). TDX's S-EPT has a quirk where all private guest
> memory must be mapped writable, but that quirk doesn't hold true for non-TDX
> guests. It should be legal to map private guest memory as read-only.

Hm. The point of the change in can_follow_write_pte() is to only allow to
write to a PageGuest() page if FOLL_GUEST is used and the mapping is
writable. Without the change gup(FOLL_GUEST|FOLL_WRITE) would fail.

It doesn't prevent using read-only guest mappings as read-only. But if you
want to write to it it has to writable (in addtion to FOLL_GUEST).

> And I believe the below snippet in follow_page_pte() will be problematic
> too, since FOLL_NUMA is added unless FOLL_FORCE is set. I suspect the
> correct approach is to handle FOLL_GUEST as an exception to
> pte_protnone(), though that might require adjusting pte_protnone() to be
> meaningful even when CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING=n.
>
> if ((flags & FOLL_NUMA) && pte_protnone(pte))
> goto no_page;
> if ((flags & FOLL_WRITE) && !can_follow_write_pte(pte, flags)) {
> pte_unmap_unlock(ptep, ptl);
> return NULL;
> }

Good catch. I'll look into how to untangle NUMA balancing and PageGuest().
It shouldn't be hard. PageGuest() pages should be subject for balancing.

> > Do you see any problems with this?
> >
> > > Oh, and the other nicety is that I think it would avoid having to explicitly
> > > handle PageGuest() memory that is being accessed from kernel/KVM, i.e. if all
> > > memory exposed to KVM must be !PageGuest(), then it is also eligible for
> > > copy_{to,from}_user().
> >
> > copy_{to,from}_user() enforce by setting PTE entries to PROT_NONE.
>
> But KVM does _not_ want those PTEs PROT_NONE. If KVM is accessing memory that
> is also accessible by the the guest, then it must be shared. And if it's shared,
> it must also be accessible to host userspace, i.e. something other than PROT_NONE,
> otherwise the memory isn't actually shared with anything.
>
> As above, any guest-accessible memory that is accessed by the host must be
> shared, and so must be mapped with the required permissions.

I don't see contradiction here: copy_{to,from}_user() would fail with
-EFAULT on PROT_NONE PTE.

By saying in initial posting that inserting PageGuest() into shared is
fine, I didn't mean it's usefule, just allowed.

--
Kirill A. Shutemov