Re: Backporting fix for #199981 to 4.19.y?

From: Laurențiu Păncescu
Date: Fri Jun 04 2021 - 10:50:38 EST

Hi Greg,

On 6/3/21 11:19 AM, Greg KH wrote:
That commit does not apply cleanly and I need a backported version. Can
you do that and test it to verify it works and then send it to us to be
applied?

I now have a patch against linux-4.19.y, tested on my EeePC just now: the battery status and discharge rate are shown correctly.

I've never submitted a patch before, should I put "commit <short-hash> upstream." as the first line of my commit message, followed by another line stating which branch I would like this to be merged to? Should I also include the original commit message of the backported commit? And then use git format-patch? I just read through [1] and [2], but they don't say anything specific about commit messages for backported patches.

Thanks,
Laurențiu

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html