Prevent inode/dentry trashing?

From: Philipp Hahn
Date: Mon Jun 07 2021 - 08:46:27 EST

Hello,

Similar to <https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/202586/limit-the-inode-cache-used-by-a-command> I would like to prevent certain programs from trashing the inode/dentry cache, which is a shared resource for all processes:

- For example the nightly <man:updatedb(8)> used <man:find(1) > to recursively walk the complete file system. As long as `d_name` and the `d_type` information from <man:readdir(3)> is enough this only pollutes the dentry cache.

- Similar our backup software, but this also needs to <man:stat(2)> each path to get the `mtime`, which additionally pollutes the inode cache.

Both examples only walk the tree once (per day). In my case the caches do not fit into memory completely, so the second process does not even benefit from the first process filling the cache as that data is already replaced again.

The trashed caches affect all other processes running in parallel or the first processes started each morning.

Is it possible to prevent inode/dentry trashing for example by limiting the cache per process(-group)?
Something like MADV_DONTNEED from <man:madvise(2)> for IO would be nice.

An external knob to limit the cache usage per process(-group) would be nice, but even a hint for an API for such kind of programs to prevent trashing would help me.

Thank you in advance.
Philipp