Re: Strange problem with USB device

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Jun 08 2021 - 15:01:45 EST

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 01:37:07PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 6/8/21 1:20 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > One thing you might try is to turn on USB debugging before
> > plugging in the device:
> >
> > echo 'module usbcore =p' >/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
> >
> > The additional information this adds to the dmesg log may be
> > helpful.
>
> The BT device is part of the same card as the PCIe wifi device, thus
> there is no "plugging" it in a conventional sense.

I don't get it. If this is a PCIe device, why should it appear
on a USB bus? Wouldn't you expect it to show up as a PCI device
on a PCI bus instead?

> Is there some way to
> add the usbcore debugging statement to the kernel options line at boot
> time?

Yes. Use the kernel boot-line parameter:

usbcore.dyndbg="=p"

FYI, how to use dynamic debugging is explained at length in the
kernel source file
Documentation/admin-guide/dynamic-debug-howto.rst.

Alan Stern